Healthy and Easy Make-Ahead Lunches for Back to SchoolAugust 02, 2019
The beginning of the school year is just around the corner—and what better way to plan for back to school than by whipping up some tasty and easy make-ahead lunches for a healthy boost? Try these healthy school lunch ideas for a lunchtime that is as tasty as it is convenient.
- Southwestern Chicken Salad Cups At about 100 calories per serving, these flavor-filled cups are packed with healthy vegetables and protein to help keep your children full and focused at school. Plus, this recipe makes 28 servings—perfect for meal-planning for the whole family!
- Chicken Burrito Bowl This is a recipe you can easily customize to suit every family member's unique tastes. As an added bonus, shredded chicken, beans, rice and cheese are all freezer friendly. Stock up on this recipe ahead of time for quick and easy lunches you can thaw the night before.
- Pasta Salad in a Jar For an even healthier spin on this easy packed lunch, opt for whole wheat or vegetable pasta, or even an ancient grain like quinoa, as your base. You can also make this recipe dietary restriction-friendly by using gluten-free pasta, soy-based cheese or other alternatives for common food allergens.
- Tuna Salad This healthy refresh of a school lunch classic replaces mayonnaise with Greek yogurt for a lighter and healthier meal staple. Tuna salad not only lasts 3-5 days in the fridge for easy make-ahead lunches all week long, it is also a versatile ingredient. Serve as part of a sandwich, wrap or salad, or as the main dish paired with bell pepper, crackers and other foods perfect for scooping.
- Remember to pack any condiments or sauces on the side to keep the meal from getting soggy before mealtime.
- Consider investing in a meal container with compartments to make portioning simpler and help keep your food fresh.
- While some parents may opt to prepare lunches in advance for an entire week, leftovers also make for great next-day lunches requiring minimal effort. Try making one of these tasty and healthy recipes for dinner and setting aside a portion for lunch the next day.
- We have all heard of breakfast for dinner, so why not try breakfast for lunch? Pancakes, waffles and muffins are all great freezer-friendly options that can be easily thawed for a quick meal any time of day!
- Add a side of fruit or vegetables to your make-ahead lunches to round out the meal with all the healthy nutrients your children need to be prepared for the school day.
- Get the whole family involved. Meal preparation provides a great opportunity to spend some quality time with your children.
Are you looking for the perfect kitchen setting to create your easy make-ahead lunches with the family? Search move-in ready Perry Homes properties to find elegant and functional designs great for family meal preparation.